Friday, January 20, 2012

Crafts Galore


What do you need?
  • Wood (whatever size you want it to be)
  • White fabric
  • Cutsie fabric
  • Small door nobs (dresser nobs)
  • Fabric Glue
  • Scissors
  • Jeremy says you also need a pocket knife - so I put it in there
  • Ruler
  • Drill



First you make sure the wood is the size you want - and then mark the spots where you want to put the nobs. You have to make the holes before you glue the fabric because the drill will make the fabric twist and wrinkle. 


I had two different nobs that required two different types of holes - so make sure you know what and how many holes to drill. 


After the holes are drilled - glue the white fabric on and you can smooth it out with the ruler (double use). Cut the excess fabric off the sides (Jeremy told me to do this with the pocket knife and it worked pretty good) - because if you don't it'll be to thick on the sides when you fold the cutsie fabric around. The white fabric is so that you can't see the wood through your cutsie fabric. Before you glue the cutsie fabric - re-drill the nob holes.When you have that set - use the fabric glue again to glue the cutsie fabric over the white. 


Fold the fabric in the back like a present of sorts and glue it some more. Re-drill the holes, again. And add the nobs. 


THEN: done. you've got yourself a necklace/jewelry hanger. I used these different middle hangers because I though you could hang rings on it too and not just necklaces. Turned out pretty good. 




I also made this earing holder. I just took an old picture frame and :
  • Sanded it down
  • Painted it
  • Took lace fabric and glued it to the back (shown on the first picture)
I made it a little ghetto because I was having trouble with a few things - but I used a wire hanger and bent and cut it to use it the way I wanted. I used it to frame the back in order to have the fabric fit well - instead of stick out awkwardly because I glued it funny...this isn't making any sense, but just know I was having issues. I also used the little sticks of hanger to use it to prop it up -I drilled holes at an angle so the little legs could just fit right in. 

OK, I'm no expert but I had fun making them. My cousin is a jewelry fiend and a bit disorganized, a bit, and I saw theses and instantly thought of her. So I put my Christmas spirit on and made her Christmas presents. I think she liked em. 



No comments:

Post a Comment