Thursday, May 10, 2012

What to expect?

What should one expect when they are expecting, with a toddler?
There should be a book about that.

January 12(ish), 2012 - I took a pregnancy test already knowing what the outcome would be. It's funny how that works. I just knew I was pregnant. It felt exactly like I did when we found out I was pregnant with Aiden. I just knew. I bought two tests, and I didn't even bother opening the second. I just knew I was pregnant, no doubts.
The difference with this pregnancy was that we were planning it. I had actually planned to get pregnant back in September, but I guess Heavenly Father had different plans for us. I got super sick at the end of September and then again in October - and if I had been pregnant, I would have lost the baby for sure. When I got sick, I saw about a million different doctors to see what was wrong with me and NO ONE could tell me. So it remained a mystery. I was on extremely strong medicine, and every doctor I saw told me that I should wait at least 6 weeks before even trying to get pregnant in order for the medicine to be out of my system. We waited about 2 months before we started trying. AND, the first month we tried - we got pregnant! I secretly bought the pregnancy test and took them by myself too. Then I put the test in one of my old glasses cases and asked Jeremy if I could talk to him. I made it sound super serious and I could tell he was getting worried. I then opened the glasses case (like a ring box) and asked Jeremy if he would have another baby with me. He laughed and might have called me a turd - because I had him worried. And we hugged.
I was deliriously happy and so was he.

It took us forever to find a doctor - but I finally just made an appointment with a Dr. near here, thinking we wouldn't be seeing him long anyway. See, we had plans to move in April and I figured I would see the Dr. just long enough to find out the sex of the baby and then finish the other half of my pregnancy with a Dr. in our new town. But again, Heavenly Father had different plans.
We had our first Dr. appointment at about 10 weeks - and we had a healthy active baby.
The Dr. we met with was...ok. I just kept telling myself that I at least wouldn't deliver with him. After my second appt. with him, I realized that I was so happy that we were moving because the Dr. was so in and out at my appt. I had questions and I wanted to feel like this baby actually meant something to him, even though he delivers tons of babies all the time - this is still only our second special baby. It  bugged me how he wasn't personal with me or didn't try to get to know my situation. But the next appt was the one where we would find out the sex of the baby. So I made the appt. In between those appointments - we found out that what we had been planning for since last August had fallen through. Jeremy didn't have a job, we didn't have a plan, we didn't know what we were doing with our lives and it was hard, to say the least. We decided to stick with this Dr to find out the sex of the baby and then regardless of our moving situation - we would switch doctors.
We get to the appointment and we are super anxious and so excited. The lady doing the ultrasound starts looking around and soon tells us that we are having a baby GIRL!
I cried.
I was so excited, AM so excited. I can't wait to have this little girl and hold her in my arms.
Here she is - isn't she beautiful already? I sure think so. My sweet little baby girl. I can't wait. Anyway - we saw our little angel and were out the door.
A week later - I started getting sick. Really sick. As sick I was back in September and October. I called our Dr and he told me to go the emergency room. We went to a hospital near us and they transferred me (in an ambulance) to a bigger hospital in Dallas because they could not figure out what was wrong with me. My fever was getting really high and they kept a close eye on the baby. I was so scared that we were going to lose her. I didn't know what fevers could do to babies, but I just kept hoping she would be ok. They admitted me when we got to Parkland (the other hospital) and they made me see every doctor they had. One of the doctors that was my main doctor there congratulated me for stumping every Dr in the Dallas area. Still NO ONE knows what's wrong with me. They came to the unanimous guess though - and said that they believe I have a genetic disorder. They just think it's weird that no one else in my family has this. But suggested that I follow through and find out for sure - because it is something I could pass on to my kids. I've been following up and will be seeing more doctors this week. Hopefully they find out what it is that I have and that it never happens again and that I really don't pass it on to my poor kids.
This pregnancy has been...an adventure. So much has happened - it makes me realize how sweet I had it with Aiden, it was seriously smooth sailing with him. This little girl is costing us a lot to get here.
The good thing is that we changed doctors and I'll meet with him next week. They told us that since I've had complications, they would really like me to see one of the doctors that already knows my case - and I feel a lot more comfortable with that too. We got to meet him briefly last week and he seems really nice. I hope we have a good experience with him.
That's really it on the summary of my pregnancy thus far. I'll update with pictures and more fun details also. Just so I remember that this pregnancy hasn't just been a stress-fest, but quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment