This, children, is what happens when you have too many empanadas.
So a few weeks ago, I was CRAVING empanadas. It's a mexican dessert/breakfast pastry thing. Also known as: super delicious. So I went to our friendly neighborhood walmart and bought the ingredients for them and began my baking journey. 1 - You have to cook condensed milk in boiling water for about 5 hours, and then let the milk sit (my mom suggested at least over night). So I started making them Friday, and finished Saturday night. 2 - It helps if you have a tortilla press to flatten out the little balls of dough, but I am not that fortunate. So I used the bottom of flat plates and our kitchen table...not fun. Then you put the milk inside the flattened out dough, fold it over and pinch the sides. By this time - I had only called my mom about 6 times. But yet again, I had to call. Sometimes, when she write recipes in the cook book she gave me - she leaves out VERY important details. For example, for this recipe she simply wrote: Bake the empanadas at 350 degrees. Can I at least get a, "for approximately blank blank minutes until brown on the top."
Nope. Nothing.
So I called, and she said, "Oh, I dunno Sheila. Like 10 minutes?"
Thanks Ma.
So I bake for 10 minutes...still OBVIOUSLY not done.
5 more minutes...maybe?
I check after 5. Nope, not done yet.
I check after 5. Nope, not done yet.
8 more minutes...?
Alarm yet again goes off.
Still not done?
I'm taking them out anyway.
Taking them out...they still look smushy...maybe 4 more minutes.
But after 4, I'm taking them out FOR REAL this time.
Alarm.
I don't even care that they still look smushy, I'm leaving them out.
They got hard after a little bit...
But the next batch:
Set alarm for 25 minutes, and then check on them.
I guess baking/cooking is ones own learning experience. Not matter how much you like to follow recipes and have an orderly way of cooking. Or how precise measurements should be, or specific (and comforting) guidelines to follow along the way - when you follow Mom's recipe you can throw all of that out the window. Because if I had a quarter for every time I heard, "Oh Sheila...I dunno. I don't use a recipe for that. Just kinda feel it out and taste it."
Or the use of "measure some in the palm of your hand, and that's how much you put in..."
I am learning, but I'm still not as good as my Mom. I have been experimenting a lot more with her food since I've gotten pregnant - and these dang cravings make me crazy that I cook more than I should.
Any who, here are some pictures of my baking experience
Pre-baked
This picture is just for you mom, I know how much you would have liked to grab a spoon and eat a whole can :)
Done and done. They turned out super good and I am again craving them...
Now for the important things in life. The offspring.
I think it's been about 6 weeks since I've taken pictures. Everyday gets a little harder and harder. I can't sleep a full night without waking anymore. A lot of body parts hurt, all the time. I'm just ready to meet my baby. But I desperately need my mom to be here, so if he could just wait until at least June 15th. If he wants to come on June 15th, that would rock!! Lets all pray, shall we?
Yes, I'm huge. And I guess this is what happens when you have one empanada too many...or when your 36 weeks pregnant. Not sure which one.
You look great! And you're doing really well if you have the energy to cook something that takes that much effort, so good for you. I wish I could come visit you - I miss ya! Hang in there. As hard as it is to sleep right now, try to take advantage of it...it gets harder, for a few months at least. But then it gets better, and life is SO incredibly good.
ReplyDeleteLyla is walking! And starting to talk too. :)
Sheila, you are so cute and those treats sound so yummy!!! Hope things are going well and that I can see you soon.
ReplyDelete