Wednesday, June 16, 2010

And the world spins madly on

Wednesday, June 2nd - Thursday, June 3rd:


It's about midnight and I can't sleep. But what's new? I have 2 and a half weeks left until my due date, and sleep has become non-existent. But I'm starting to get these pretty nasty back pains. I have no idea what they are - or how to stop them. The pains continue, I get about 5 minutes of relief. If I'm lucky. And then the pain comes back lasting up to 15 minutes without any relief. This goes on for about 9 hours straight, I don't get a wink of sleep until 9 in the morning. When I finally get to sleep, the pain wakes me up. Jeremy convinces me to call our Midwives - just to be safe. I call and I start crying - the pain has made me this crazy. They ask me to come in as soon as I can. So we do.


We find out that I was having contractions and our midwife is extremely optimistic that this baby will be joining us in the next day or so.


I call my mom and she changes her flight to arrive in Rexburg Friday June 4th.


And the torture begins.


Friday, June 4th - Tuesday, June 8th:


Torture, Torture, Torture.


I am having at least an hour of contractions a day. Some days I have contractions for 5 or 6 hours straight. Nothing compared to the contractions from the first day - but still uncomfortable.


All I can say about these few days is that it was torture.


Wednesday June 9th:


I wake up, to a wet spot on the bed. I wasn't sure if I had tinkled or what. All I know is that there is a pretty good size ring of wetness where my bum was laying. We thought that maybe my water broke..but we weren't sure. I waited to see if I was going to get contractions or if more water came out...but nothing. All day, I was getting contractions on and off - but nothing to call the Dr over. That night Jeremy had a soccer game, so we went to the game. On our way back, walking up the stairs to get to our apartment - I felt wetness. Again. I'm sure it's not tinkles this time! I go to the bathroom, and another decent size of wet soaked through to my jeans. Jeremy, again, convinces me to call our midwives. She tells me to come into their offices tomorrow morning at 9 when they open, just to make sure that it isn't my water. I agree, and go to bed.


(PS. happy birthday to Jeremy today)


Thursday, June 10th:


I wake up at 8, make it into the Dr at around 930 or so. One of the midwives comes in to check me - she explains that there are a few things that this could be. But that we really need to make sure that I'm not leaking amniotic fluid. She checks. The first little test she does turns positive. It's amniotic fluid. She says she is going to check under a microscope - just to make 100% sure. She takes, what seems like, forever.


She eventually comes back in.


It is my water, and there must be a small whole somewhere because I'm leaking amniotic fluid. Since it's been ruptured for over 24 hours now, they need to get the baby out soon. Like in the next 24 hours soon. She tells me to go home, eat some breakfast and grab my hospital bag. She tells me that we will be having a baby hopefully today or tomorrow morning. But that I was to go to the hospital and that she'd meet me there later.


It all starts sinking in. I'm having a baby...


Jeremy is home when I get back from the Dr. He and one of our friends Brandon give me a blessing, we eat breakfast, (I feel like I want to throw up the entire time) and we go to the hospital.


We get there, we check in, they put us in a room. The room. The room where I'll be delivering my baby, the room where I finally get to meet him, the room where I will soon wish I would die in.


I get butt naked, and put on one of those hospital robes/gowns that don't cover much of your BEhind. I get an IV in, some fluids, some antibiotics, and last but not least - some pitocin.



Contractions started right away, but nothing big. Just the kind that I was used to getting at home - it was strange to see them on that monitor thing though. At about 3 o'clock, they started a little stronger. By 6, I could really feel them - and I was having to concentrate a little more on controlling the pain. And it was all down hill since then.



I was at the 3 at the beginning of the day (well actually since Tuesday), by 6 - I was at a 5. My Dr. wasn't going to check me again until 10, but my contractions where pretty close together and very strong so she checked again at 8 o'clock. By then I was at a 7. The pain was getting pretty unbearable by this point. And all I could think about was how I still had to dilate to a 10 and then push - for who knows how long...I was already becoming pretty discouraged. I asked for the epidural - but Jeremy talked me out of it.



It's 9 o'clock - I get my next contraction and I start pushing. I'm surprisingly at a 10 already and can officially start pushing.

But I can't.

I could only push for maybe 3 seconds, it hurts so bad.



It's 11 o'clock - I want to die. I might die...the pain is that bad. I don't care what anyone says anymore, I want the epidural. I want some kind of pain relief. So they tell me that it will take about 20 minutes to get the guy up here, and they honestly think that I'll have the baby before that heavenly epidural man gets to my room. But since I'm not effectively pushing, he gets there before the baby comes. I don't get the epidural - but it's still a shot in my spine. It will only work for 2 hours, so I feel the pressure of needing to have this baby quick.

I get 2 more contractions, and then the wonderful shot kicks in.

I put my hand on my stomach to see when I'm having contractions - and I push for 10 seconds 4 times every contraction.

I'm exhausted by this point. I close my eyes in between contractions and I'm not sure if I will be able to open then in time to start pushing again.

And then, to spicen things up - the baby's heart is under a lot of stress. So the Dr's are in an especially big hurry to help him out.

They use a suction cup - so she pulls on his head while I push during contractions.

I'm still not making enough progress. So she cuts. I push.

She cuts again.

I push some more.

She cuts.

I push.



Friday June, 11th:



They can see his head. Some progress!

12:33 am - he's out!

He's beautiful. Amazingly enough, and through all the goop, he's beautiful. I honestly didn't think that I would think my son was this adorable. But I do. He has the biggest cone head in the world - but his face is cute. Cute little nose, cute little cheeks, cute little everything. He has these huge hands too! Cutest hands ever. And a birth mark! Right on his cute little knee.

They finally convince me to let him go - so they can wash him up, weigh him, check him, etc.

The rest is kinda history. I got maybe an hour of sleep that night - and everything honestly feels like a dream.
Being pregnant feels like a dream.
Giving birth.
Having Aiden here is strange...
My world is honestly turned upside down now. I know that it will take some getting used to, and that all of this is supposed to be hard.
But it honestly is worth it.
I didn't think it was worth it until I saw him and held him. No matter how tired I am some days, or how frustrated I may get because I can't get him to stop crying - It's so worth it.
I can't imagine my life without Aiden now. I had never understood this immense love - I didn't even know I was capable of it.
I can't wait for all the new little adventures that are in store for us now.

Pictures and a more recent update are coming soon - this post just took way to long to get out. It's true what they say, babies take up way too much time and attention.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see pictures of your handsome little guy. I am SO GLAD you got an epidural. I have no idea how women have natural child births. I am SO HAPPY for you & that you get to be a Mommy. It is the most challenging and yet rewarding things in life. I'm sure you're already excelling at it. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,
    I am so impressed with you! You are absolutely amazing! I hope that you are having fun with Aiden! Isn't being a mom absolutely, completely wonderful! I love it!
    Hope you are getting some sleep!
    Love you lots!
    Bee

    ReplyDelete